Eighth Half Marathon - Garry Bjorklund (Grandmas) - Duluth, Minnesota

On Father's Day weekend in June of 2022, I finally was able to run Grandma's. I've heard wonderful things about this race because of the scenery, weekend activities, merchandise, and more. This weekend checked off a few boxes as I got to spend time with family (including my grandma), explore with friends, enjoy a run on the North Shore, and finally ride a lime scooter. Special shoutout to my parents and friends, Marcy and Sarah, who made the trip to cheer me on and applaud me with High Noon Hard Seltzer at the finish.

Marcy, Sarah, and I went to a few bars and breweries, got dinner at a local pub, road around town on our scooters, and listened to some great music down at the Bayfront. I've heard how great Duluth is from my friends who went to UMD, but I never got to experience a day in the life. This getaway was definitely one for the books, and I hope to visit it again next year! 

With that said, this race is my newest personal record with a time of 1 hour and 54 minutes. My average pace was 8 minutes and 45 minutes per mile with an overall place of 1,749 out of 7,004 half marathon participants. For females, I was the 683rd female to finish out of 4,278, and I placed 342 out of 1,665 females in my age group. I wouldn't have been able to get through it without the support of my mom, dad, Marcy, and Sarah. Kudos to them and their support! 

Two things I learned from my eighth marathon: 

1. Duluth traffic can be crazy. Leave for your destination ahead of time.

2. Duluth is even prettier up close. 

                     






Comments