Third Half Marathon - PBR Half Marathon (Perry, Iowa)

My next half marathon was three months later in February of 2021 in Perry, Iowa. For those from or familiar with Iowa, it's about a half-hour away from Des Moines. This race is called 'PBR' because the route goes through three small towns - Perry, Berkley, and Rippey. I signed up for this solely because it was free. In fact, it was in the winter time and I trained for this run all of December and January so I could adjust and adapt to wind chill. Was it fun? Nope. Was it worth it? Yep. This race only had 30 participants and I finished in seventh with a time of two hours on the spot. I was shocked because of the weather conditions. At this time, it was seven degrees fahrenheit and 10 mile per hour winds, but I did it! 

In addition, I was able to see three good friends on my way home - Stanzy, Jordyn, and Calyn. We enjoyed some beer and appetizers at a local brewery in Des Moines. Reuniting with friends made the wind chill, snowflakes, and frozen eyelashes worth it.  

Two things I learned from my third race: 

1. Make sure to wear a ski mask when running in the cold. I did and am grateful. 

2. Prep your playlist ahead of time because it's hard to switch songs with mittens on. 

                            
  

Comments